How to prepare for your video shoot!
Be sure to click every heading below to read up on all the things you need to know!
What to Expect in a Nutshell
- Pre-Production: Questionnaire, scripting, scheduling and promotional planning.
- Production: The shoot.
- Post-Production: Editing, uploading, delivery & promotion.
What We’ll Need From You
We’ll need a few insider items from your business to ensure your videos come out absolutely stellar. And although we don’t need everything right now, we figure it’s best to let you know what’s on our wish list so you can start pulling them all together for us. We love that old adage “the early bird gets the worm” so, don’t delay if you can send any of these items through earlier rather than later – it’ll help us combat potential delays down the track. Here’s what we need:
- Your Logo – a high quality image file preferably in PNG format (or a format which has a transparent layer). If you have different versions of your logo, go ahead and send them all to us. The more we have to work with the better.
- Your “Tagline” – most businesses have a little ‘saying’ they like to put under their logo or as part of their branding. If you don’t have one, we suggest creating one (at the very least, for the purpose of your video) because it can really make the end result “pop”! As an example, our tagline is: “Web video that works.”
- Font – provide the name, or details, or a copy of your preferred font (if you have one).
- Specific Colours – tell us the specific colours used in your marketing, website, and print materials. Most colours have a HEX number if they are web-based colours, for example: Red is #FF0000. If you can’t get this information, we’ll try and extract the colours from your logo or other relevant company image.
- Preferred Music – give us your company’s music file, or let us know what type of music you’d like featured in your video. No stress if you don’t have music or anything in mind, we’ll be able to hook you up with some cool tunes! Important Note: Please ensure the music you provide is either owned by you or ‘royalty free’ to stay in line with copyright law.
- Account Payment – remember to complete your 50% deposit prior to shooting. Timely payment ensures our film crew doesn’t go hungry! And of course, the payment of the balance will be required prior to final delivery.
So, that’s about it… … Unless you have something specific you want to bring to the table and haven’t told us about yet? But if we need anything else, we’ll definitely let you know.
Preparation & Scripting Tips
What’s your intended outcome? Have a think; what are you doing all this for? What would you like to achieve with these videos? By thinking about the end result first, you’ll find it naturally paves the way to the right style and content to achieve your goal. Know your audience Who are the videos aimed at? If it’s a 60 year old business man, then funny gags might not be the right way to keep his attention. Mentally create an “avatar” (your ideal viewer) for this video. For example, “my ideal customer is a mid-forties, stay-at-home mum, with three kids and a pool.” It’s not about you Say what? Yeah, we know, but this is a really key point to get your head around. The most effective videos out there are ones that focus on what the potential customer wants, and what you and your business can do for them. Simplify the message One of the reasons you’ll get viewers is because it’s easier to watch a video than read text. Compound that with the fact everyone’s busy nowadays (so you don’t get their attention for very long), means the “less is more” motto will do wonders for your video. Scripting Are you going to write a script? Use bullet points? Or do you need some help? Depending on which video package you select, please check with your MVP contact so they can help you with some basic scripting templates. What to wear? Try to avoid shirts with complicated designs, as well as white, or any light coloured shirts. Intricate patterns or shirts with thin stripes are also a no-no, so try to avoid those where possible too! Plain, solid colours work best.
As mentioned at the start of this pack, promoting your new video is as important as the video itself! Once your shoot date has been confirmed, one of our online marketing team will reach out to chat with you about some great ideas you (or we!) can implement to get the most out of your new video! This can be a variety of different techniques, including simple things you and your team can do (like sharing on social media) – to more complex and far reaching marketing strategies that Melbourne SEO & Video can do for you (such as press releases and advanced social promotion)!
Cancellation & Rescheduling Policy
We know things can be hectic and we pride ourselves on leniency and understanding! However, once we’ve scheduled your shoot date, we turn away other work and schedule our staff accordingly, so if you make a request* to change the date, some fees are applicable to ensure our costs are covered: Cancellation – Before Your Discovery Call – If you cancel your video project any time between when you made payment and when you have your Discovery call, 30% of the deposit you paid (ex-GST) is non-refundable. Cancellation – 2 business days or less of confirmed shoot date: 100% of your initial deposit will be forfeited. Cancellation – 3 business days or more before confirmed shoot date: A small administrative fee of $300 will be deducted from your initial deposit. Rescheduling – 2 business days or less of confirmed shoot date: A small administrative fee of $200 will be added to your final payment balance. Rescheduling – 3 business days or more before confirmed shoot date: No fee applicable. *If your shoot is weather dependent and therefore requires a last minute change – we will not charge out any admin fees to the rescheduling. However, the appropriate cancellation fees will still apply if you cancel altogether.
Where is the studio?
Here are some details as to how to find us. We’re at Revolver Creative, located at 231 Chapel St, Prahran. We’re just a short walk from Prahran station, and located next to tram routes 78 and 79 – both travelling the length of Chapel St, between Richmond and St Kilda. Tram routes 3, 5, 6, 8, 64, and 72 all intersect Chapel St. Short-term street parking is abundant, there are also a few carparks nearby: